Monday, December 20, 2010

Class Notes 11/29/10 to 12/10/10

Hamlet Movies

Hamlet (1996) - directed by Kenneth Branagh
   placed the characters in a grandeur setting
   characters blond (I found this weird since I imagined them all with dark hair)
   Hamlet's character was melodramatic
   there seems to be a slight incestuous relationship hinted at between Hamlet and
   his mother

Hamlet (1948) - directed by Lawrence Oliver
   though the oldest of the three hamlet movies, it had the most risque undertones
   insinuation that Hamlet is gay

Hamlet (1980) - BBC version
   instead of placing the characters in a medieval setting, the setting was modern
   (which is exactly how Shakespeare would have had his plays performed)
   Hamlet is portrayed as childlike in comparison to his father

3 comments:

  1. Fail. Where are your notes on existentialism and the theatre of the absurd? Those are important for when studying for the AP exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really would like to see some notes on existentialism and theater of the absurd!

    ReplyDelete